BSA Troop 759 | Berwick Alternative Composting Bins
BSA Troop 759 Service Project Portfolio
Service Project Plan Overview
Project leader: Gabriel Daly, Life Scout, BSA Troop 759
BSA Troop 759 has volunteered to make composting bins for Berwick Alternative School to support their community garden. The composting bins will be constructed from pallet wood collected and recycled from the neighborhood and fitted with removable front panels for easy transfer and a lid to limit moisture intake.
- Collect spare pallets from the Olde Towne East neighborhood
- Disassemble pallets and recover lumber
- Design the structure with removable door
- Collect materials to assemble the structure
- Recruit Scouts to build and secure the structure
- Coordinate with Berwick Alternative Schools for placement
- Install the composting bins and provide initial materials for composting
- Deliver a guide to soil & water conservation to Berwick Alternative School
Key Leadership Skills
Composting creates rich fertile soil for use in flower and vegetable gardens by promoting decomposition from natural materials. The composting bin for Berwick Alternative Schools is a Service Project from BSA Troop 759 to support community gardening, soil & water conservation and citizenship in the community.